Monday, December 21, 2009

Tasty Tuesday - Food Traditions

Welcome to the first edition of Tasty Tuesday!!! *Trumpet Fanfare* Since Christmas is this week I thought a great first theme would be Food Traditions. These might be family holiday traditions, a food related tradition that happens anytime, or maybe a food tradition that you want to start.

In my family it was always tradition for my mom to make some yummy holiday treats to share, or just keep for ourselves. She would make Shortbread, Caramels , Nuts and Bolts, and Caramel Corn. It's hard to pick my favorite but I think I would say that the caramel corn was the most fun to make.

I remember that we would spend almost an entire day making popcorn, and after we had a couple giant garbage bags full of popcorn we could start the caramel. Here is my Mom's recipe for a yummy caramel corn:

1 cup Eagle Brand Milk (sweetened condensed milk - any brand will work)
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup Rogers Syrup

Boil to softball stage. Stir constantly. (For info on the Softball Stage Click Here)

Pour over 24-30 cups popped corn. Stir to mix.

I usually use more popcorn (probably more like 40 cups). I usually pour it out on the counter to cool after it is mixed so that it is a little more separated.

Mmmmmmmmm Caramel Corn. Isn't Food awesome?

A fun American food tradition that I thought I would share is the Presidential Turkey. We all love turkey! Well I don't know if we all do, but I LOVE TURKEY... Mmmmmmm juicy succulent turkey. *drools* Sorry I got a little distracted there.

As of 1989 (starting with George H. W. Bush) the president has granted a presidential pardon to a lucky turkey. Awwwwwwww, isn't that cute? "Starting in 2005, the pardoned turkeys have been sent to either the Disneyland Resort in California or the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, where they serve as the honorary grand marshals of Disney's Thanksgiving Day Parade." (National Thanksgiving Turkey Presentation) What a lucky turkey to be pardoned AND get to live at Disney!

In 2009 Barack Obama pardoned a 45-Pound Turkey named courage.



Doesn't he look delicious cute? The turkey, not the president.

Well that is the first edition of Tasty Tuesday. If you need to see how to play and look at upcoming themes Click Here. Don't forget to link up with Mr. Linky below, comment, and come back to play again!!!

Next Tasty Tuesday's theme is in honor of New Years, it's Party Food!

4 comments:

smarmoofus said...

The president *does* look delicious, yes. And the turkey's kinda cute, I suppose.

What are nuts and bolts? And why isn't fudge on that list of holiday treats?! Are you kidding me?!

I'm up! Happy first Tasty Tuesday, Mr. O!
-smarmoofus

Mr. O said...

Thanks for participating!

Nuts and Bolts are like party mix with pretzels, cereal, and nuts.

Azure said...

You should bring some of that deliciousness to work.


Oh, by the way, one of my family holiday traditions is Hawai'ian sweet and sour pork. basically you make a sweet and sour with pineapple and coconut milk. Its delicious, however my mom's sauce recipe is secret.

Mr. O said...

Sounds yummy!

Thanks for participating guys!