Monday, January 18, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Meat

Welcome to this weeks edition of Tasty Tuesday, this weeks theme is meat. Remember if you don't eat meat this would be a great time to post an alternative to meet, reasons you don't eat meat, or just anything about food.

I've always loved meatballs and there are many stores that carry them in the freezer section. However this is a problem when I am looking for a low carb or gluten free option because many of these frozen meatballs contain bread, sugar, etc. I've found a recipe that is great and it fits into these types of diets. I found this wonderful recipe at Linda's Low Carb Recipes. Below is the recipe and I've made my additions in bold:

BAKED MEATBALLS
-1 pound ground beef
-1 pound bulk Italian sausage
Instead of the beef and sausage I use two pounds of ground turkey
-2 teaspoons dry minced onion. As usual I am cutting out the onions because of heartburn.
-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 2 ounces (I used the kind in a can)
-2 eggs
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl using your fingers. Mix until the meat no long feels slimy from the eggs. Shape in golf ball size meatballs and place on a large baking sheet with sides. Bake at 375ยบ for 15-20 minutes until the meatballs are done all the way through. Rinse in a colander to remove any egg and cheese that has leaked out.

Makes about 20-30 meatballs. Can be frozen. Per meatball: 92 Calories; 7g Fat; 6g Protein; trace Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; .5g Net Carbs



The pictures I posted show me making a double batch since more is always better *Drools at the thought of meatballs*

Join us next week for the Tasty Tuesday theme of Food Disaster, which should be super fun! Thanks for joining in guys

2 comments:

Ms.Behaved said...

http://behaven.blogspot.com/

I participated this week as well. :)

*steals meatballs and runs*

Mr. O said...

Nice Entry Ms. B