Monday, January 11, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Yellow

Welcome to Tasty Tuesdays! When deciding on the theme for this week I thought I would pick one of my favorite foods (Curry), because yesterday was my birthday. YAY! Well it also happens that today is National Curry Day so it seems like it was meant to be! I know that there are people who aren’t fans of curry so I chose the theme “Yellow” because it’s a little broader. Remember if you can’t think of something to post you can do a wild card and choose a previous topics. ANYWAY, on to the topic at hand:

"Curry is a generic description used throughout European and American culture to describe a general variety of spiced dishes, best known in South Asian cuisines, especially Indian cuisine. Curry is a generic term and although there is no one specific attribute that marks a dish as "curry", some distinctive spices used in many curry dishes include turmeric, cumin, coriander, fenugreek, and red pepper." Source

When I make curry I lean towards Japaneese style and I use Sun Bird Golden Curry Medium Hot 3.5 Oz, which can be found in the ethnic section of most grocery stores.

Normally I will use chicken but I also love to get some pork or beef stewing meat because it's cheaper. For veggies I use a frozen mix of broccoli and cauliflower, mushrooms (frozen, canned, or fresh), and sometimes I will add carrots.

Below are the directions from the box of the curry block, but I have added my own tips in bold:

Directions:
• Cut 1 to 1-1/2 lbs of lean beef (or chicken, lamb, shrimp, or tofu)
• Dice one large onion.
• In a large skillet, sauté meat and onion in oil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. If desired, add carrots, potato, celery, or just about any vegetable you like. Discard excess oil.
• Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat (and potato) is tender, about 10 minutes. I like my curry thick so I only put enough water to go half way up the veggies and meat. Then I put a lid on the pot.
• Break Golden Curry Sauce Mix (roux) into small pieces and add to pot stirring until (roux) is completed melted.
• Simmer the instant Japanese curry for another 5 minutes or so stirring constantly. (If curry sauce becomes too thick, just add water).
• Pour over freshly cooked rice. Sometimes I would use pasta, but this is now the case all the time because I'm on a lower carb diet. I use an amazing low carb pasta called Dreamfields.

You may increase or decrease the amount of vegetables and meat in your Japanese curry mixes by as much as 50%. However, the amount of water you add should not be decreased. If the consistency of the curry stew is too thick, adjust it by adding water at the end. S&B curry roux comes ready to eat, so you've no need to add salt or pepper. I normally add some garlic because I love it!!!

Well that is one of my fave dishes and I plan on making some on my coming week off. I'M SO EXCITED!!!! Don't forget to join us next week for the theme of "Meat". Remember if you don't eat meat you can post something about why you don't eat meat, or a great meat alternative.

2 comments:

Ms.Behaved said...

My entry:
http://behaven.blogspot.com/

Yay for Yellow. I'll crave Curry until I'm able to snarf a whole bunch of it... all thanks to your blog entry, Mr. O.

Ruh roh!

Mr. O said...

I made curry the other day and it was fantastic!!!