Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Atkins Journey

I’ve always been a larger person, and I’ve always known it. I would get teased at school for being the fat kid, and it did do some damage to me mentally but luckily I stopped caring how people felt about me. I was never much into sports so I couldn’t do that to help myself lose weight, but I would try to eat healthier. I remember that during high school I would try and do Weight Watcher with my mom, but I normally failed at that because I was greatly restricting myself, and I still felt crappy. My mom had also done Atkins on and off over the years and when I was younger I always thought it was weird because all I saw her eat was eggs and meat.

As I was about to move away to University I started reading up on Atkins and I realized that I had many misconceptions about it, which most people do. “Atkins is just meat”, “No Carb Diet”, etc, etc, etc… I’ve heard so many people say those kinds of things, and when I ask where they learned it I normally find out they haven’t read Dr. Atkins book, but they saw someone doing the diet (most likely they were doing it wrong). I moved down to school about a month before it started, and from the get go I was on Atkins, working out, and trying to be very conscious about my health. I felt great!!! Not only did I start losing weight, but my headaches stopped, and I had more energy. In the course of the next year I got within about 30 lbs of my goal weight, which much sound like a lot of weight but it wasn’t that much seeing that I had lost like 75 lbs already. At school I also started developing a relationship with a wonderful woman online, we got engaged, and I was so excited to get married. In preparation for getting married and moving down to the USA I sold my house, and moved back home to live with my mom. I have to say that planning a wedding can be a little stressful, and with us I also had to go throught the stress of immigration.

I tried a few times to get back on Atkins but I never really stuck to it, and I found my self eating extremely large amounts of food. Some days I would eat more then others, but this is what I found myself eating on a weekend when I had nothing to do but eat:
Breakfast
McDonald's Sausage McMuffin x 2
McDonald's Hash Browns x 2
McDonald's Breakfast - Sausage, Egg & Cheese McGriddles™

Lunch
Totinos Hamburger Party Pizza x 2
Lay's Kettle Cooked Potato Chips, Mesquite BBQ - Half a large bag
Ben & Jerry's One Cheesecake Brownie - 1 Pint

Dinner
Subway 12" Meatball Marinara
Subway White Macadamia Nut Cookie x 2
Lay's Kettle Cooked Potato Chips, Mesquite BBQ - Half a large bag

Total
Calories: 6,890
Fat: 363g
Carbs: 717g
Fiber: 33g
Net Carbs: 684g

I ballooned up to 385 lbs, suffered from awful blood sugar related headaches, nausea/heartburn from a hiatal hernia, little to no energy, and I had to start buying fat clothes, which is probably what made me really start thinking about my weight. Finally I decided to get back on the Atkins wagon, and this time it would be easier because my wife decided to join me. We cleansed the house of all the carb laden foods, and I became the Atkins Chef and my wife’s Atkins Obi Wan Kenobi. We both started losing weight, feeling better, and we were eating so much healthier. This is what I was normally eating on a typical Atkins day:
Breakfast
Scrambled Eggs with Cheese

Lunch
Turkey Sandwich on Julian Bakery Low Carb Bread

Dinner
Grilled Chicken Breast
Broccoli and Cheese

Snack
Blue Diamond Wasabi and Soy Almonds
Cheese

Total
Calories: 1,780
Fat: 88g
Carbs: 47g
Fiber: 31g
Net Carbs: 16g

Currently I’ve lost 42lbs and I am continuing to work towards my goal of 220lbs, which means I've only got 123lbs to go. Wish me luck!

No comments: