Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Latin Food

In honor of Cinco De Mayo I decided to choose the theme of Latin Food, so I hope to see some spicy entries. I'm normally not an adventurous type, but on occasion I like to try new things. One of the things I've always wondered about is Tamales. We have a very large Latin population here and I've seen lots of Tamales around. I hear they are very tasty and I've been tempted to buy when they are offered to me in the Wal-Mart parking lot, but that's a little scary to me. Maybe I will have to make some myself one day, but first I want to know what they are.

According to Wikipedia "A tamale or more correctly, tamal (Spanish tamal, from Classical Nahuatl tamalli) is a traditional Latin American dish made of masa (a starchy dough, often corn-based), which is steamed or boiled in a leaf wrapper. The wrapping is discarded before eating. Tamales can be further filled with meats, cheese, vegetables, chilies or any preparation according to taste, and both the filling and the cooking liquid may be seasoned." Oooooooh ahhhhhh. LOL. I'm totally going to make some buy some!!!

Join me next week for the incredible, edible egg.

Picture Source

No comments: