Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A New Chapter - It's Who I Am

Up until this point I've never really said my name (Greg) or the little woman's name (Lindsie) on my blog, but I have to put it out there so this will make sense. Yesterday I posted the following note on Facebook for all the read:


You know that voice in your head that won't shut up? Well I do, and no I am not mentally insane. For a long time I have known something about myself that I haven't felt comfortable sharing with many people, but the time had come to give into the rational little voice in my head and just say it. In the words of a brave missionary friend, “While this may not come as a shock to many of you who haven’t already had it confirmed to you, to put it quite bluntly, I am indeed gay. And I don’t mean “happy” as the definition on that one. We’re talking rainbow flag-waving, parade marching, turtle-neck-wearing gay…” Unlike Kade I do wave a flag and happen to be in parades but that has nothing to do with being gay. Yes it's true, I am one of those homosexuals you have seen in the movies, or you have heard about on TV, but there is one difference between me and them, you know me.

Some of you don't know me very well, but I'm sure you have come in contact with me at some point, and I hope your impression of me was favorable. Something to remember as we are going forward is that I am the same person you have always known, but now you will know more about me. My sister has taught me a lot about being yourself, and though these next words aren't an exact quote, they are inspired by something she once wrote. :

I am the man that sat next to you on the bus.
I am the goofball that would do anything to make his friends smile.
I was a boy who always knew he was different then his peers.
I was a boy who was afraid to tell others who he was.

I am a gay man.

(This next part is an exact quote)

“I hope you all understand that I am who I have always been.
I hope you all understand that for the first time in my life I am being honest with everyone around me.
I hope you all understand that I have always known who I am, and that who I am will never change.
I hope you all understand that I love you all, and want all of you in my life.”

There it is, now you all know who I really am, but I'm hoping that won't change your opinion of me, but I'm sure that many of you have questions. So I will try and answer some of those here.

Topic One - Greg and Lindsie:

In the words of a wonderful woman named Lindsie, “I met my best friend. The most amazing person I've ever known in my life. Having known many terrific people, I'm sure you will understand what high praise this is.” From the very start we both knew that we had found an awesome person, and that we would be together forever. Our relationship has gone through many changes recently and it will continue to do so, but through all of this we want to remain best friends. One day when Lindsie finds a wonderful man worthy of her I hope he doesn't mind her protective gay husband.
_______________________________

Topic Two – Church:

Although there are certain things I don't agree with I am thankful for the things I learned as a member of the LDS church. I have made so many friends, and I have learned many lessons about being a better person. For those of you church members who don't think you can be my friend/family anymore I would like you to read the first half of this message over and over again, because I'm hoping it will help you realize I am still the person I've always been.
_______________________________

Topic Three – The Future

Lindsie and I haven't worked out all of the details yet, but I'm sure it will take some time. At this time we think that Lindsie may be heading off to Florida to help out her Grandpa which is great, because he is the cutest little old man you would ever know. I will look for some roommates to help me hold down the fort here as I will be staying in the house for now.
_______________________________

For those of you who I have added to my extended family recently I want to thank you for being such a support to me, you are all great examples of wonderful people. You know who you are and “We are family”.

I'm sure some of you will have other questions but instead of trying to answer them through gossip please contact me. Shoot me an email or call me and I would be happy to chat.


This is probably the most personal thing I have ever shared on my blog. It's bitter sweet because I get to be who I am, but I am losing a wonderful person in my life. I'll pray everyday that Lindsie and I can be friends forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Possibly the most influential blog I have read all month?!?