Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Seafood

This week’s theme is seafood, which normally isn’t my food of choice, but I think it has to do with my geography. Since I live a ways away from an ocean I can’t really get fresh seafood with ease and this is my only qualification for good seafood. When I lived in North Carolina I was always close top some good seafood, and this was especially true when I lived in New Bern. This colonial American city was frequented by road side seafood vendors, with seafood that was in the ocean earlier that morning. THAT IS SEAFOOD!!!! I would frequently enjoy shrimp which is one of my favorite seafood items, and if I was there now I would love to try this recipe from allrecipes.com:



Peppered Shrimp Alfredo

Prep Time: 30 Min
Cook Time: 20 Min
Ready In: 50 Min
Ingredients
12 ounces penne pasta
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 pound Portobello mushrooms, diced
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 (15 ounce) jar Alfredo sauce
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1/2 cup cream
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped parsley
Directions
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Meanwhile, melt butter together with the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until softened and translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, red pepper, and mushroom; cook over medium-high heat until soft, about 2 minutes more.
Stir in the shrimp, and cook until firm and pink, then pour in Alfredo sauce, Romano cheese, and cream; bring to a simmer stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir drained pasta into the sauce, and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.

Join us next week for the theme Raw Veggies!

No comments: